While cutting a coaxial knife is possible, it is not recommended. Instead, use a pair of scissors or a utility knife to cut the cable.
To cut the cable, first, locate the point where you want to make the cut. Make sure that the cable is free from any obstructions and that there is enough slack to work with.
With one hand, hold onto the sheath of the cable while using the other hand to cut through it. Be careful not to cut yourself in the process. Cut straight through the cable until it’s severed.
If necessary, you can use pliers to twist and pull on each end of the cut cable until it separates. Once it’s separated, discard the damaged piece of cable and re-attach the new connector.
Better to Get Electrical Cutters
It’s better that you use electrical cutters because:
1. The coaxial knife is not made for cutting through the tough sheath of the cable.
2. You’re more likely to cut yourself when using a knife.
3. It’s easier to make a clean, straight cut with electrical cutters.
4. If you damage the cable while trying to cut it with a knife, you’ll have to replace the entire length of the cable. With electrical cutters, you can just replace the damaged segment.
5. Electrical cutters are less likely to cause sparks than a knife, which could potentially cause a fire.
When using electrical cutters, make sure to keep your hands and fingers clear of the blades. always cut away from yourself. Follow the same steps as described above to cut through the cable. If you’re having trouble separating the two ends of the cable, use pliers to twist and pull on each end until it comes apart.
How to Cut Coaxial Cable the Proper Way
The proper way to cut coaxial cable is by doing the following:
1. Cut the cable near the connector with a sharp knife.
2. Be sure to cut the cable straight across so that the inner and outer conductors are evenly divided.
3. If you’re not careful, you can easily cut through the insulation and expose the inner conductor, which could cause electrical shock.
4. Once the cable is cut, remove any burs or leftover pieces of insulation with a file or sandpaper.
When cutting coaxial cable, it’s important to take your time and be careful. If you’re not careful, you could easily cut through the insulation and expose the inner conductor, which could cause electrical shock. Be sure to cut the cable near the connector and make sure to cut it straight across so that the inner and outer conductors are evenly divided. If you have any burs or leftover pieces of insulation, remove them with a file or sandpaper.
Can you get shocked by a coax cable?
You should never get shocked by a coax cable. If you do, there’s something wrong with the wiring and you should have it checked by a professional. Coaxial cables are designed to safely carry an electrical current without posing any danger of shock.
However, if you’re using an old or damaged cable, it’s possible that the insulation could be worn down, exposing the wires and making it possible to get shocked. In this case, it’s best to discard the cable and replace it with a new one.